Embracing change and making the most of new opportunities
We go through seasons of change in our lives, just like the Earth currently changing from summer to autumn. Although many people are fearful of change, like we previously discussed, embracing new opportunities and keeping a positive attitude can lead to great successes.
As a new member of the Juniper team I have been through lots of change. Not only have I changed jobs but also moved county and house, all in one month. These big life alterations could have been overwhelming, however I chose to embrace the new ventures and make the most of the opportunity to develop as an individual. Adopting this attitude has enabled me to learn more about myself, make new friends (both inside and outside of work) and develop as a professional in my new position. It hasn’t been easy but choosing to embrace the changes has led to personal and professional development in ways I never could have imagined.
Inspired by my experience and recent business articles*, here are five suggestions for how to embrace change effectively:
- Focus on the reason behind the change – whether a change is taking place at work or in your personal life, there will nearly always be a positive motive behind it which aims to benefit both you and those around you. Focusing on the purpose can help to motivate and inspire you in your new way of life.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – curiosity is key when learning something new and you can never ask too many questions. Not only will this help you understand more about your new situation but it will enable you to develop relationships with those around you (going through change together is better than attempting it alone).
- Step out of your comfort zone – experimenting with new ways of working and living can be an effective way to embrace change. It may seem daunting to give up old habits and try something new, but you don’t know until you give it a go! A simple alteration to your routine in this new season could make a big impact.
- Knock down any barriers – it can be easy to put up barriers (physically and mentally) in an attempt to avoid change, however this will only make it harder. Don’t let anyone or anything get in the way of you embracing the change and engaging in all the new opportunities available.
- Look to the future – the main purpose behind nearly every change is to improve livelihood, therefore its important not to focus on the negative implications of a change (which there often can be) but to consider the long-term goals. You won’t know how a change may benefit you unless you embrace new opportunities.
Have you recently been through change at home or in work? What would you suggest are the best ways to embrace change? We’d love to know – send us an email or contact us on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn (links below)